Perinatal mood and anxiety disorders are the most common complication of childbirth, affecting 1 in 7 new moms and 1 in 10 new dads.
- Are you feeling sad or depressed?
- Do you feel more irritable or angry with those around you?
- Are you having difficulty bonding with your baby?
- Do you feel anxious or panicky?
- Are you having problems eating or sleeping?
- Are you having upsetting thoughts that you can’t get out of your mind?
- Do you feel as if you are “out of control” or “going crazy”?
- Do you feel like you never should have become a mother?
- Are you worried that you might hurt your baby or yourself?
Any of these symptoms, and many more, could indicate that you have some type of perinatal mood or anxiety disorder, such as postpartum depression. Seek support immediately from a trusted professional to prevent the worsening of symptoms. There’s no reason to suffer, you will get better.
- Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services
Free and confidential HOPEline 1-844-MOM-HOPE (1-844-666-4673) (calls are returned within one business day)
- Postpartum Support International: 1-800-944-4PPD PSI has more than 250 Support Coordinators around the world. They provide support, encouragement, and resources on the phone and email to pregnant and postpartum moms and families, and help you connect to community or internet resources.
- PostpartumProgress.com: A blog that offers in-depth information, support and hope for pregnant and new moms with postpartum depression and all other mental illnesses related to pregnancy and childbirth, including postpartum anxiety, postpartum OCD, depression or anxiety during pregnancy, post-adoption depression, postpartum PTSD, depression after miscarriage or perinatal loss and postpartum psychosis.
- HelpGuide.org: Postpartum Depression and the Baby Blues: Contains signs and symptoms, risk factors, treatment and a helpful video about the importance of creating a secure infant attachment.
- Spectrum Health Healthier Communities Postpartum Emotional Support Group
John Widdicomb Building
665 Seward Avenue NW, Suite 110, Grand Rapids (free parking on-site)
Every Tuesday from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
For more information call 616.391.1771 or 616.391.5000. Fee: No charge.